Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL) is a federal Crown corporation responsible for enabling nuclear science and technology and protecting the environment by managing the Government of Canada's decommissioning and radioactive waste responsibilities.
We deliver our mandate through a contractual arrangement with Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (CNL) for the management and operation of our sites. Details on AECL’s activities and our governance model can be found on our website www.aecl.ca
AECL is currently looking for an Engagement and Communications Manager. This is a term position of up to one year. This position is based out of our Chalk River, Ontario or the Ottawa office location.
The Engagement and Communications Manager (Manager) reports to the Director of Communications and Government Reporting. The Manager supports AECL in a variety of ways, as needed, on broad aspects of communications-related activities, with a focus on supporting the Director of Communications on all aspects of Indigenous and stakeholder engagement activities.
The focus of the position will be on managing all aspects of Indigenous and other engagement activities. In addition, the scope of the position also includes support to AECL on all aspects of communications work, as required, including support for both internal and external communications, including preparing responses to media requests, supporting and tracking media and social media activity and presence.
Indigenous and stakeholder engagement management includes supporting AECL on:
- drafting policy and plans on engagement, updating and maintaining policy, plans and procedures on engagement;
- planning, organizing, supporting, coordinating and executing engagement activities and events;
- building and maintaining relationships with Indigenous groups and stakeholders;
- identifying engagement opportunities and new ways of reaching stakeholders;
- coordinating with CNL on AECL and CNL engagement activities; and
- supporting oversight of engagement activities.
The Manager will also support broadly the needs of the whole AECL organization around writing, editing, drafting, analyzing, coordinating and monitoring, with respect to briefing materials and government reporting materials. Responsibilities involve maintaining and growing relationships across the organization, as well as relationships with CNL, stakeholders and Indigenous groups.
- Manage, plan, coordinate and execute Indigenous and stakeholder engagement activities in collaboration with others in AECL
- Support, coordinate and manage any aspect of AECL’s Indigenous consultations in collaboration with others in AECL
- Draft, edit, update and manage AECL’s strategies, plans, procedures and tracking logs with respect to Indigenous and stakeholder engagement and consultation
- Support AECL’s communication activities, both internal and external, including news releases, drafting media responses, preparations of internal communication materials and all-hands meetings, and all other communications needs
- Support the monitoring of media and social media, and internal government context
- Contribute to maintaining and enhancing AECL’s web and social media presence
- Provide support in overseeing CNL’s activities related to stakeholder and Indigenous engagement
- Collaborate with counterparts in CNL and in other organizations as required
- Support, as required, any aspect of strategic business planning, corporate reporting and government reporting,
- Provide, as required, support for coordination and documentation needs of the missions
- Provide writing, editing, analysis, coordination and data gathering support for any aspect of AECL’s business
- University degree in public affairs, communications, business, finance, science, engineering, public policy, political science, English, French or a related field
- Five to 10 years of experience working with a variety of stakeholders or clients
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills in both English and French are required
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent time management skills to deliver on a range of requests from a range of people across AECL often within very limited time constraints
- Experience related to Indigenous engagement or consultation is an asset
- Experience in communications, stakeholder engagement, or policy roles is an asset
- Experience working on nuclear issues is an asset
- Experience working on strategic issues across a broad range of topics or organizations is an asset
Deadline for applications: June 21, 2019.
Please note the selected candidate must successfully meet Government of Canada security clearance requirements.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
AECL is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to promoting a culturally diverse workplace.