Digital Content Production Specialist
Digital Content Production Specialist
Location: Palmer Rapids, Ontario
Posted: October 13th 2020
Rapid Media is the world’s leading paddlesports media company. We produce Paddling Magazine, including our annual 300+ page Paddling Buyer's Guide and special 200+ page Paddling Trip Guide travel issue. We also produce Kayak Angler, the world's leading kayak fishing magazine. Both our Paddling Magazine and Kayak Angler brands have significant digital assets, including industry-leading websites, flipbook and app editions, and the world’s most sophisticated online paddling buyer’s guides.
In our spare time, Rapid Media produces the international Paddling Film Festival and World Tour, now touring to more than 130 cities. Over the last 21 years, we’ve worked hard to become North America’s most trusted paddlesports authority.
We are recruiting for a Digital Content Production Specialist. This is a full-time position.
As the Paddling Magazine and Kayak Angler Digital Content Production Specialist, you will be working closely with our content development and production teams, reporting to both our Digital Content Director and Creative Director.
As the Digital Content Production Specialist, you will support all steps of the creation and production process and play a critical role in getting our award-winning editorial in front of more readers in a variety of digital formats and platforms.
You must be a resourceful problem solver who is savvy with technology, design and is exquisitely detail-oriented and adaptable to the needs and shifting priorities of a growing, scaling company. You can’t be afraid to collaborate with colleagues on how to work smarter by consistently improving complex workflows and processes.
Basically, we need someone really cool who grooves on technical systems, has a marketing business brain and has a keen artsy eye for photography and pixel perfect design in digital formats.
It would be a super bonus if you have an understanding and voice of authority when writing about paddling - including kayak touring, whitewater, canoeing, standup paddleboarding and kayak fishing - and the paddling industry. Our readers are paddling and fishing enthusiasts. You don’t work at Car & Driver because you own a minivan; you must be a car nut. You get the idea.
The position is in-house, full-time and year-round. It's a dream job, but it’s a real job!
- Uphold compliance to Paddling Magazine and Kayak Angler brand and design standards across multiple platforms
- Prepare, schedule and publish inbound and outbound digital content on various platforms in the most effective formats
- Perform quality control and production updates during the digital production process
- Proof and correct multiple versions of digital page proofs, ensuring that changes are accomplished
- Review technical art vs. provided specifications for accuracy and design fidelity
- Provide image retouching, cropping and additional image manipulation
- Manage assets within our content management systems
- Apply analytical and critical thinking to anticipate risks, resolve problems and improve systems
- Ensure all projects assigned are delivered on time, within the scope and within budget, or perform risk management to minimize project or capacity risks
- Experiment with how our content is presented on platforms, analyze results, and give actionable feedback and take action
- Give feedback on and improve content production, promotion and revenue generation workflows
- Work with management and content teams to identify and grow new audiences
- Develop innovative editorial formats, series, original projects and cross-team collaborations
- Collaborate on cross-department production assignments
- Collaborate with other teams and help with day-to-day tasks
- Attend brainstorms and contribute to team and business goals
- Attend international trade shows, work weekends and late-night hours when necessary
- Must live, breathe, write, understand, and want to be authoritative on all things paddlesports
- Ability to cover a wide range of topics, including boats, gear, destinations, news, adventure, etc.
- Formal education in journalism, professional writing and/or digital media would be great (our publisher doesn’t, but the rest of the product team does)
- A business and/or marketing background would also be great (our publisher doesn’t, but everyone else on the marketing team does)
- Proven experience as a contributing writer, editor and digital content creator would be helpful
- Previous experience or internship writing or in production for an enthusiast magazine or website (or exemplary blogging and writing experience)
- Knowledge of the WordPress platform ecosystems and current best practices, as well as savvy Photoshop skills and experience, are essential
- Experience vetting and sourcing breathtaking photos
- Must be proficient in the following applications: Google Analytics, Google Search Console and Google Drive
- Understanding and love of the digital media landscape with a deep familiarity of both inbound and outbound marketing strategies and techniques
- Timely, reliable and able to manage multiple priorities and overlapping deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and flawless spelling, grammar and usage in your writing
- A positive, curious, playful disposition with a sense of humour
- Deep understanding of how titling and thumbnails can affect performance
- Affiliate marketing experience a big plus
- Loving the SCRUM project management system a bonus
- Ability to travel to trade shows, client meetings and editorial assignments, i.e., destination stories and gear testing
- Strong desire to live outside the city and an aversion to shopping malls
It’s a long list, but we believe the right candidate will already know the skills and experience he or she will need to excel at all this.
Salary to commensurate with experience, of course.
The Offices: Cottage or Chalet
Headquarters is located in Palmer Rapids, which is a small rural community with a big heart. The cottagey office is on the river-right bank of the Madawaska River, five minutes downstream from class II-III+ Palmer Rapids, less than an hour from the mighty Ottawa River, and right in the middle between Algonquin Park and Calabogie Peaks ski resort. It’s only two hours to Ottawa and three hours to Toronto. Here we paddle, fish, ride bikes and ski regularly. And we go swimming from the dock at lunchtime… in the summer.
Or you can work out of the new Revelstoke office tucked between the Monashee and Selkirk Mountain Ranges of southeastern British Columbia. Our desks are 1.8 kilometres from Revelstoke Mountain Resort, where we ski and ride mountain bikes. We canoe and kayak on Lake Revelstoke and the Columbia River and chase river levels of the Illecillewaet, Jordan and Clearwater, to name-drop a few classics.
The Rapid Media team consists of a publisher, director of marketing, director of sales, advertising and sponsorship coordinator, two magazine editors, graphic designer and production coordinator, film festival tour coordinator and finance and circulation managers. Most of us wear flip-flops every day and have never been caught wearing ties at our desks. Creep us at www.paddlingmag.com/staff
This is not a telecommuting position; only candidates who can work at the riverside Palmer Rapids office or Revelstoke mountain office will be considered. Sound like the perfect combination of work and play?
- Send your CV
- Please include a nice letter with a little about you and why you’ll be an awesome fit for this position and our team.
- Include links to any other relevant previous work, social media profiles, or portfolios.
- Let us know how you can grow our audiences here at Rapid Media.
- Let us know what your top five priorities will be coming into the position and/or top five things you think we could implement or improve about our current digital presence, landscape and platforms.
- Tell us why you prefer flywheels or funnels.
- Please include a list of relevant posting, dissemination, tracking and analytics tools you’re proficient in and suggest we use.
If you think this job is amazing but not the perfect fit for you right now, see our other career opportunities at www.paddlingmag.com/careers/, or please forward this posting along. Thanks for doing so. Learn more about Rapid Media at www.paddlingmag.com, www.kayakanglermag.com, www.paddlingfilmfestival.com.
Rapid Media is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, colour, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or boats you paddle.
55 Red Pine Drive,
Palmer Rapids, Ontario
Please indicate you found this job on ovjobs.ca|