Personal Support Workers
Personal Support Workers
|Carefor Health & Community Services|
Location: Pembroke, Ontario
Posted: March 1st 2018
Carefor Health & Community Services offers home care services, community support and operates the Pembroke Civic Complex retirement residence. Carefor provides frozen meals, transportation and visiting programs as well as personal and home support, foot care programs, companion sitters and a going home program which allows for transition from a medical stay back to the home. We operate throughout Renfrew County and are one of the region's most recognized healthcare providers.
We are currently recruiting for Personal Support Workers. These positions are based out of our Pembroke office.
Summary of Function:
Under the supervision of the Care Team Supervisor, the Personal Support Worker (PSW) provides personal support and homemaking services to individuals. Care is provided within the framework of policies, procedures, standards and quality and risk management as established by Carefor Health and Community Services and the management of the Pembroke Civic Complex. The PSW collaborates with members of the health care team in meeting the needs of individuals to attain an optimal level of independence and well being.
- Assist or provide care according to the resident care plan and in compliance with a Personal Support Workers scope of practice. Assistance may need to be provided on a short or long term basis to individual residents including but not limited to personal care, lifts and transfers, observing nutritional status, light housekeeping, assist in taking prescribed medication.
- Observe resident for changes in behaviour or signs or symptoms of decreasing health status and report to Care Team Leader.
- Give verbal and written reports to the Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) or other team members on any unusual behaviour and observations made with respect to clients and residents.
- Evaluate the individual's need for change in the personal support care plan and make recommendations to RPN or designate.
- Contributes to the development of the personal support care plan by reporting to the RPN or designate, all observations or information obtained from the resident and family regarding needs and the effect of the care provided.
- Plans and organizes each day's activities. Set priorities for personal support and other activities to effectively utilize time, energy, supplies and equipment.
- Completes documentation according to established procedures to maintain the communication to other health team members and provide an accurate account of service provided.
- Reviews all forms of documentation and communication in order to remain current on residence operations and resident care. This may include reviewing care notes, emails, memos, communication book, and receiving verbal updates.
- Functions and reports in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, regulations, and Carefor policies and procedures.
- Assisance with dietary duties such as dishes, setting up dining room, clearing tables, serving, as directed.
- Personal Support Worker certification
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate
- Current CPR Certificate
- Food Satefty and Handling certificate
- Current Criminal Record Check for the vulnerable sector, required
- At least 1 year experience working with elderly or ill individuals.
- Experience in handling confidential information.
- Experience working with seniors who have dementia, Alzheimer's, and mental health illnesses
- Experience working in a retirement or nursing home facility
- Ability to evaluate situations and use policies and procedures as guidelines
- Effective problem solving and decision making skills
- Effective communication skills (verbal, written)
- Good assessment skills
- Awareness of community resources
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team
- Dependable, trustworthy, compassionate with good work habits
- Ability to take direction well
- Ability to work independently in a busy, fast paced environment and prioritize duties
- Ability to work variety of hours, days, evenings, nights and weekends
- Ability to bend, sit, stand, kneel for short periods of time
- A part-time rotation is available
- A combination of pre-scheduled shifts and call-in shifts is part of this position.
- Candidates will be required to work days, evenings, nights, weekends and potentially a hybrid day/evening shift (ie.10am-6pm)
- Carefor has a combination of seniors and adults with mental illness.
The successful candidates will be prepared to commence employment as soon as possible.
Carefor is committed to employment equity and diversity and invites applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.
Please note that only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. If you have special needs and require accommodation measures for the selection process, please notify the Carefor Human Resources Advisor at that time.
To learn more about Carefor's integral role in the community visit www.carefor.ca
|Human Resources Advisor|
Carefor Health & Community Services
425 Cecelia Street,
Please indicate you found this job on ovjobs.ca|