Registered Practical Nurse
Registered Practical Nurse
|Madawaska Valley Family Health Team|
Location: Barry's Bay, Ontario
Posted: June 22nd 2020
The Madawaska Family Health Team (MVFHT) provides primary health care including chronic disease management, health promotion and disease prevention, to a rostered population of patients. The MVFHT utilizes an interdisciplinary team of health care professionals who work in a collaborative model of care.
We are currently recruiting for a Registered Practical Nurse (RPN). This position is a 0.8 FTE (four days per week - daytime hours.) This is a contract position until March 31, 2021, with the possibility of renewal, depending on the Ontario Ministry of Health funding availability.
About The Position:
The RPN is an integral part of a multi-disciplinary team and works cooperatively with members of the health care team in the promotion of patient health and prevention of disease. The RPN adheres to the standards of practice as outlined by the College of Nurses of Ontario. This role functions autonomously and collaboratively with patients, physicians and the interdisciplinary team to support the vision, mission, and core values of MVFHT and to ensure that organizational accountability systems are implemented.
The RPN will be accountable to the College of Nurses of Ontario for the standard and quality of care provided in clinical responsibilities. As a member of the primary care staff, the RPN is accountable to the nurse practitioners, registered nurse and lead physician for daily clinical activities and to the executive director for non-clinical responsibilities.
Prevention of harm and ensuring quality client care is of utmost importance. Patient safety must be a priority for all staff. Electronic health records and health information of the clients of the MVFHT must be protected at all times.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Uses current theoretical and research knowledge and the input from the interdisciplinary team members to plan and implement care for patients and families
- Plans, manages and evaluates nursing care for patients and families within the RPN scope of practice according to the College of Nurses of Ontario in the context of an interdisciplinary practice
- Provides wellness care to clients, monitoring both chronic illnesses and the management of episodic illnesses
- Administers clinical procedures such as allergy shots, injections, immunizations, suture removal, skin and wound dressings, TB testing and ear syringing
- Performs chronic disease management follow-ups that include assessing the patient’s knowledge of and response to medications and providing patient education and self-management strategies as per MVFHT program guidelines
- Relays patient concerns and information to the appropriate member of the health care team
- Contributes to the development of chronic disease management and prevention programs
- Communicates ideas or concerns to the health care team and participates in problem-solving to enhance patient care
- Ensures patient safety by reporting occurrences of potential or actual harm to a client to the Executive Director
- Collects clinic statistics for quarterly reports to the Ontario Ministry of Health when required
- Demonstrates knowledge of and compliance with established policies and procedures and identifies areas of improvement
- Participates in inter-professional team planning meetings and ad hoc committees
- Maintains accurate, concise and confidential EMR documentation pertaining to patient history and encounter data
- Assists in the training and development of new staff
- Maintains an awareness of a safe environment for patients and staff and reports any concerns to the Executive Director or designate
- Performs any other related duties as required
The RPN will require a thorough knowledge of primary care nursing and have the ability to function effectively in a team environment with physicians, other interdisciplinary health professionals and administrative staff. The role also requires a high level of interpersonal skills to deal with patients and their families in a patient-centred, compassionate fashion.
Additional Qualifications Include:
- Current certificate of registration from the College of Nurses of Ontario (RPN) and two years of current nursing experience with demonstrated skill and experience
- Excellent patient assessment skills
- Knowledge of, and working experience with computer systems and applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of the multi-disciplinary team
- Previous EMR software experience is an asset
- Excellence in customer service
- Demonstrated leadership and effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to organize time and set priorities effectively
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent decision making, problem-solving skills, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated commitment to professional growth and development
- Demonstrated satisfactory work performance and attendance record
Employment is subject to a criminal records check
To be considered, forward your curriculum vitae and cover letter no later than 5:00 pm on July 10, 2020. While we thank all applicants, only those under consideration will be contacted for an interview.
The Madawaska Valley Family Health Team is committed to employment equity, diversity and a supportive environment. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, including women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and aboriginal persons, individuals of diverse gender and sexual orientation and all groups protected by the human rights code.
|Susan Farrar, Executive Director|
Madawaska Valley Family Health Team
PO Box 1126,
Barry's Bay, Ontario
Please indicate you found this job on ovjobs.ca|