|Family and Childrens Services of Renfrew County|
Location: Pembroke, Ontario
Posted: January 6th 2021
Family & Children’s Services of Renfrew County is a multi-service agency committed to providing preventative, protective and socially inclusive services and programming that empower and strengthen everyone. We are focused on cultivating a team-oriented work environment where everyone thrives. Our goal is to develop and strengthen collaborative partnerships to increase availability, accessibility and quality of care to our communities. Our agency commitments include moving forward anti-oppressive practice, French-Language services and working alongside our Indigenous communities.
We are currently recruiting for Legal Associate. This is a permanent, full-time position.
The incumbent will provide legal services to the agency in the discharge of its legal mandate under the Child and Youth Family Services Act and in related child welfare matters.
- Works with agency staff to consult and advise and to represent the agency in child protection proceedings in the Superior Court of Justice
- Receives instructions from service staff and supervisors, and ensures that the legal interests of the child, as represented by the child protection worker, are pursued with opposing counsel within the family court
- Consult with the child protection supervisors to ensure the adequacy of evidence and the preparation of witnesses
- Ensures appropriate liaison with counsel has occurred at every stage of a child protection case
- Ensures that legal services documentation is adequately prepared, distributed and represented on the file
- Review legal precedent on a regular basis and provides supervisory staff with advice and training regarding decisions and documentation
- Regularly attends court including acting as counsel at trials
- Prepare responses to CFSRB complaints and represent the agency throughout the CFSRB complaint process
- Advise on privacy issues related to Part X of the CYFSA and prepare responding materials to the IPC
- Provide coverage for senior legal counsel (including management responsibilities)
- Attend mediation and other collaborative meetings with client, families and their counsel
- Post-graduate university degree in law (L.L.B.) and membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- One year of experience since being called to the bar, preferably in representing a child protection agency
- Bilingualism (fluency in French and English) is an asset
- Outstanding litigation skills, interpersonal skills and the ability to relate well to other professionals and individuals in a corporate setting and in the community at large
- Outstanding ability to communicate well orally and in writing, within a team environment, part of the larger agency, and external collaterals
- Ability to provide sound and well-considered legal advice, direction and information to the agency’s staff and management with respect to child protection matters, and ability to receive and act on instructions from a corporate client
- Ability to identify systemic barriers to equity and anti-oppressive practices and apply this lens to your work with FCSRC
- Knowledge, experience, and understanding of the culture, history and current oppression experienced by marginalized groups
- Ability to understand and apply anti-colonial, anti-racist, anti-ableist, anti-cisgenderist, anti-ageist, anti-classist, anti-heterosexist lenses to social problems
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking and implement evidence-based research into practice
- Understanding of the CYFSA, signs of safety, anti-oppressive practice and strength-based approach
- Excellent presentation and negotiation skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines and determine work priorities
- Ability to travel and provide own transportation
Closing: January 19, 2021.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email and reference “Legal Associate” in the subject line, or submit it by mail.
Family and Children’s Services of Renfrew County is committed to building a diverse workforce representative of the communities we serve. We encourage and are pleased to consider applications from all qualified candidates, without regard to race, colour, citizenship, religion, sex, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, aboriginal status, age or disability.
Family and Children’s Services of Renfrew County is committed to providing a barrier free workplace. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
|Supervisor of Human Resources|
Family and Childrens Services of Renfrew County
77 Mary Street, Suite 100,
Please indicate you found this job on ovjobs.ca|