Transportation & Logistics Manager
Transportation & Logistics Manager
|Reference Number: PMDF-18001|
Location: Pembroke, Ontario
Posted: January 2nd 2018
Pembroke MDF Inc. is a privately owned company, located just outside Pembroke. Our facility utilizes high quality wood fiber supplied by local sawmills to manufacture high quality fibreboard and painted base board mouldings. Unlike other types of wood panels, the homogenous and uniform structure of fibreboard results in a product that is easily routed, milled and finished.
We currently have an opportunity for the right individual to join our dynamic and talented team of employees as a Transportation & Logistics Manager.
This position is responsible for managing the shipping and warehousing functions. This includes effectively shipping material as well as maintaining inventory accuracy. The principle function is to negotiate freight rates as low as possible.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Determine work procedures, prepare work schedules, and expedite workflow
- Assign duties and examine work for exactness, neatness, and conformance to policies and procedures
- Supervise department personnel on a daily basis
- Identify employees’ skills and develop them by coaching and counseling employees on a regular basis
- Conduct annual performance reviews and provide continual feedback
- Manage all warehouse operations to effectively maintain inventory accuracy and FIFO and to support material requirements for production purposes
- Prepare and coordinate the dispatch schedule
- Prioritize shipments according to customer’s needs
- Negotiate freight rates with outbound freight carriers
- Develop and maintain a carrier base
- Schedule shipments with truck companies
- Manage transportation costs and carrier performance
- Provide support for operatings, sales, accounting and purchasing
- Manage the loading procedures for truck shipments
- Manage the scheduling of production into the warehouse
- Process shipping documents including Bills of Lading, custom invoices and tally sheets
- Reconcile shipments
- Process freight claims
- Manage outside warehousing
- Maintain files and records related to the sales and transportation departments
- Track, report and recommend solutions to improve inventory accuracy
- Analyze opportunities for improvements including cost, quality and service
- Maintain respectful communication with co-workers and supervisory staff
- Be familiar with the company’s policies and processes and understand the impact of this position on the competitiveness and performance of the company
- Complies with and follows health and safety policies and programs
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum post-secondary education in business or equivalent of education and experience
- Diploma in related field (ie: material or logistics) is an asset
- Minimum of three years of direct work experience in a shipping or warehouse management function preferably in a manufacturing environment
- Forklift experience; valid certification is an asset
- Heavy haul trucking, ocean, intermodal and rail shipping experience is considered an asset
- Good working knowledge of ERP systems
- Warehouse management system skills
- Ability to safely operate a forklift
- Advanced working knowledge of Excel, Outlook, Word
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed
- Energetic, forward-thinking and creative with high ethical standards
- Keen attention to detail
- Exceptional service orientation
Pembroke MDF offers a competitive benefit package and company matching RRSP program.
Employment is conditional upon successfully completion of Pembroke MDF’s pre-employment checks which may include criminal record check, education verification, reference checks and drug and alcohol testing.
To apply for this position, please forward a copy of your cover letter and resume to via email quoting the position title and file number. Position open until filled.
Pembroke MDF Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during the recruiting and selection process, we will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only qualified applicants will be contacted.
777 Fibreboard Drive,
Please indicate you found this job on ovjobs.ca|