|Family and Childrens Services of Renfrew County|
Location: Pembroke, Ontario
Posted: October 4th 2019
Family & Children's Services of Renfrew County helps families and communities in Renfrew County protect and support the development and well being of children, youth and adults through integrated services, prevention and social inclusion. We provide services of child welfare, developmental services, Ontario Early Years, KUMON math and reading and family visitation and exchange services.
We are currently recruiting for a Legal Associate. This is a 12-month contract and we will consider full and part-time applicants. Please state your preference and availability in your cover letter.
The incumbent will provide legal services to the agency in the discharge of its legal mandate under the Child and Youth Family Services Act and in related child welfare matters.
- Works with Agency staff to consult and advise and to represent the agency in child protection proceedings in the Superior Court of Justice.
- Receives instructions from service staff and supervisors, and ensures that the legal interests of the child, as represented by the child protection worker, are pursued with opposing counsel within the family court.
- Consult with the child protection supervisors to ensure the adequacy of evidence and the preparation of witnesses. Ensures appropriate liaison with counsel has occurred at every stage of a child protection case.
- Ensures that legal services documentation is adequately prepared, distributed and represented on the file.
- Review legal precedent on a regular basis and provides supervisory staff with advice and training regarding decisions and documentation.
- Regularly attends court including acting as counsel at trials.
- Prepare responses to CFSRB complaints and represent the agency throughout the CFSRB complaint process.
- Provide coverage for senior legal counsel, including management responsibilities.
- Attend mediation and other collaborative meetings with client, families and their counsel.
- Postgraduate university degree in law (L.L.B.) and membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
- One year of experience since being called to the bar, preferably in representing a child protection agency.
- Outstanding litigation skills, interpersonal skills and the ability to relate well to other professionals and individuals in a corporate setting and in the community at large.
- Outstanding ability to communicate well orally and in writing, within a team environment, part of the larger agency, and external collaterals.
- Ability to provide sound and well-considered legal advice, direction and information to the agency’s staff and management with respect to child protection matters, and ability to receive and act on instructions from a corporate client.
- Understanding of the Child, Youth and Family Services Act (CYFSA), signs of safety, anti-oppressive practice and strength-based approach.
- Excellent presentation and negotiation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines and determine work priorities.
- Ability to travel and provide own transportation.
- Bilingualism (fluency in French and English) is an asset.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email and reference “Legal Associate” in the subject line, or submit it by mail.
Family and Children’s Services of Renfrew County is committed to building a diverse workforce representative of the communities we serve. We encourage and are pleased to consider applications from all qualified candidates, without regard to race, colour, citizenship, religion, sex, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, aboriginal status, age or disability.
Family and Children’s Services of Renfrew County is committed to providing a barrier-free workplace. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Closing; October 25, 2019.
|Supervisor of Human Resources|
Family and Childrens Services of Renfrew County
77 Mary Street, Suite 100,
Please indicate you found this job on ovjobs.ca|