The Renfrew County District School Board is recruiting for a Special Education Teacher Assistant. This is a temporary position that is effective immediately and until May 13, 2020, or the return of the incumbent. The position is at Whitney Public School and is 17.5 hours per week.
The Renfrew County District School Board employs Special Education Teacher Assistants to work under the direction of the principal to support the inclusion and special education goals of students who have been deemed exceptional according to the Education Act. In cooperation with the teachers and professional specialist support staff, the Special Education Teacher Assistant provides support to classroom teachers for one or more identified exceptional students.
The responsibilities are many and varied in support of teaching and other professional staff including instructing individual and groups of students in an academic and/or integrated class environment, implementing special programs, physiotherapy exercises and stretches, behaviour management programs, supervising students, dealing with behaviour problems, lifting, assistance with personal care (including toileting), academic support, life skills, work experience, signing, interpreting, and braille where required.
- A minimum two-year community college diploma in the social services field (e.g. DSW, CYW, SSW), or an equivalent combination of education and experience acceptable to the board. (Transcripts may be requested to support relevant course detail.)
- Proven ability and willingness to perform the essential duties of a Special Education Teacher Assistant, including toileting, diapering, feeding, lifting, transferring, positioning and providing assistance with mobility.
Other relevant training that would be an asset:
- Autism spectrum disorder training
- Understanding and managing aggressive behaviour (UMAB) training
- Lifting training
- WHMIS certification
- Non-violent crisis intervention
- Prior experience using computer supports and adaptive/assistive technology is an asset
The position will be filled by members of the board's educational support personnel bargaining unit before external applications are considered. The board reserves the right to not fill a position.
Applications will be accepted until 12:00 p.m. on October 23, 2019.
Please advise the Human Resources Department HRDept@rcdsb.on.ca prior to the closing date if you require accommodation at any time throughout the application process so the appropriate arrangements can be made.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. All other applicants are thanked for their interest.
All offers of employment are conditional upon receipt of a current vulnerable sector screening criminal background check acceptable to the board.